BX - Looking for yield? Covered short straddle on Blackstone!
As discussed towards the end of last year, 2018 should be the year of the brokers and asset managers (please watch related ideas below). In this context, and with a dividend yield of 6.36%, BX is probably one of the best asset management pure-plays out there. The trend has been strong on all time frames and the stock is attempting a breakout as we speak. But how to play it in the current top-ish market environment? There is a smarter way than a simple outright buy.
LOOK FOR YIELD AND ENHANCE IT WITH OPTIONS
1. Buy the stock in a half size which makes sense to your strategy or portfolio at $34.91 (last close)
2. Sell one-year $40 OTM CALL and pocket $1.39 (indicative)
3. Sell one-year $32 OTM PUT and pocket $2.66 (indicative)
COMPELLING RISK AND YIELD ANALYSIS
At expiration of the options, in one year, one of the below should happen.
1. The stock is range-bound ($32-40): Stay long the stock and pocket (call premium + put premium + dividend yield) = 3.98% + 7.62% + 6.36% = 17.96%
2. The stock breaks out and trades above $40: Deliver the shares at $40 and pocket (capital gain + dividend yield + call premium + put premium) = 14.58% + 6.36% +3.98% + 7.62% = 32.54%
3. The stock breaks down and trades below $32: Receive the shares and end up with a full position at an average price of $33.45 while you pocket (dividend yield + call premium + put premium) = 6.36% + 3.98% + 7.62% = 17.96%. All the while, you become long one of the best asset managers in the world with an improved dividend yield >10%.
THIS STRATEGY CAN BE ROLLED OUT WITH ANY TIME HORIZON (MONTHLY, QUARTERLY, SEMI-ANUALLY).