- Volume calculation given a look-back to help clarify trends without smoothing lag
- Change the source (HLC3 indicates a little faster in backtesting)
- Smooth the signal if desired
- Moving average (MA) added for crossover indication in trend change
- MA can be either or HMA**
** My personal use:
for trend filtering trades: Trade long signals if OBV is above the MA, trade short signals if OBV is below the MA.
for scalping and chop: Normally set the to 20 or 15 and trade the crosses. Works on most time frames and generates a lot of noise. 5 min and 15 min seems best for me in day trading
Example of trend trading using only the OBV-C and no other indicators, stops, or trailing stops:
This could obviously be improved using stops, trailing stops, or other indicators to filter when to enter & exit trades or mitigate loss.
Example of trading using the and lower time frames with ( EFI ) used as a filter. Trade with both cross at or very near the same time. Winning trades in green: